By now I am sure you have heard of opportunities to drive for Uber. We decided to look in to this and see how much you can make and what driving for Uber really does entail.
What Uber Pays
After a $1.65 rider fee, drivers keep 80% of the price of the ride.
This does not include tips.
Examples of Current Drivers
Some current estimated earnings for Uber. (These are location based)
- Los Angeles Drivers average between $20 - $25 per hour before expenses.
- New York City Drivers average $30 per hour before expenses.
- San Diego Drivers average $28 per hour before expenses.
- Houston Drivers $10.75 after expenses.
- Detroit Drivers $8.77 after expenses.
- Denver Drivers $13.17 after expenses.
- Nationwide Uber Drivers average $19 per hour before expenses.
How much does it cost you?
Most Uber drivers calculate their costs of about 10% per ride.
There are also taxes for you to consider, but that depends on overall how much you make.
As an Uber driver you can work full or part time. Most drivers work between 30 to 50 hours a week.
What Uber claims
Uber claims you can make between $50,000 - $100,000 per year.
Our research has shown that very few people earn the top dollars. To make those levels, you will need to be in an area where you will be constantly busy.
Do I need to have a car to drive for Uber?
There are options where you do not even need to have a car to drive. Uber has a program deal with Enterprise Rent A Car where you can get a special rate with them and unlimited miles.