Housing Assistance For Families

Housing Assistance For Families

  • Comments
  • Share

Public Housing

HUDs main housing assistance for families is the Public Housing Program.

Public housing is available for qualified low income families, seniors, or disabled. There are about 1.2 million public housing households in the US. HUD administers these programs.

1. Annual Income.
2. Qualifications: Family, Senior, Disabled.
3. US citizen or eligible immigrant status.

The Annual Income Limits are set by HUD. The lower income limits set by HUD are at 80% and very low income limits are 50% of the median income of the county or metro area where you live in. You can easily Google these limits based on your income.

LowIncomeHousing.us lists all of the local Housing Authorities where you can apply for Public Housing.

How is Public Housing rent determined. The rent is based on your families anticipated gross annual income less any deductions. Then depending on your low income or very low income rate, that number is multiplied by the percentage you are assigned by HUD.

Rent Assistance

Other types of housing assistance for families is rental assistance.

There are 2 main types of rent assistance.
1. HUD Housing Choice Vouchers as described above. Government grants that provide lower rates for rentals.
2. Local and National Non Profits such as Catholic Charities and the Salvation Army which assist the needy with help towards their rent when they are going through a crisis. We have found many of these programs and list them through LowIncomeHousing.us on the right navigational section of the website from the city low income housing pages.

Comments 29


Looking for rental ASAP in or around Modesto....

Single mother looking for low income housing in San Diego, California.


I am looking for low income housing in the area of Pittsville, Willard, Parsonsburg, etc. I have acquired a job in Pittsville Md and currently staying on my sisters residence. I need to locate a place to live while I get established. I have applied at the apartments in the area and waiting for a return response.

I am looking for a 3 bedroom low-income for me and my family.


I am a single mother unemployed with disabled child. He is 2 years old and on the autism spectrum. I am enrolled in ECI my son is on Medicaid. We need assistance for a stable and safe home! I am raising him alone with very limited income! I have tried contacting the Housing Authority’s and different resources for assistance and have had no luck, I could use the guidance and support in any resource that can help my son and I out.

I'm looking for housing for me and my family I'm homeless with kids

I live in Fredericksburg, VA. I am living in a motel. I also have a disabled person with me. My son in law put us out. We have been getting help from some places, but we are running out of people to ask for help. I am also on disability. SSA cut my money back because I get paid for taking care of the disabled person. With the bills that I have and the little money that I get, it is still not enough to get a low income apartment. Is there anyway or any body who can help us out. Thank you

Hello , I was wondering how do I sign for a low income apartment for me my 2 kids and husband

I’m looking for a low income apartment near Buckhead in Atlanta Ga..Asap

I’m 66 disabled needs a place to live my grand son lives with me he’s disabled also asap

Leave a Comment

© 2007 - 2021 | Low Income Housing | All Rights Reserved