Good Counsel Convent
White Plains, NY - 10603
Founded in the archdiocese of new york as a roman catholic community of women religious, the sisters of the divine compassion began by teaching immigrant street children employable skills and catechism lessons in lower manhattan.
In 1890 the sisters re-located the now boarding school children to white plains where they built a school, a convent, and a chapel, later expanding their educational program to fully-accredited schools from kindergarten to college.
Today the community of 111 sisters also serve as parish ministers, health care professionals, retreat directors, counselors and social service workers. In addition to their three sponsored schools, they conduct outreach programs for families of migrant farm workers and rural poor in upstate New York.